The BC Heritage Fairs Society (“BCHFS”) is a provincially registered non-profit organization that coordinates Regional Heritage Fairs and an annual Provincial Heritage Fair in BC. The BCHFS is seeking a Provincial Coordinator who will be an inspiring leader, an effective administrator, and a proponent of the leadership potential in young people. This contract position will commence as soon as possible and no later than April 30, 2017.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Develop, support and promote the Heritage Fairs program in British Columbia by:
- Communicating with teachers and Regional Fair coordinators to encourage the development and expansion of Community and Regional Fairs;
- Facilitating the flow of information between the BCHFS and Regional Fair coordinators;
- Actively seeking sources of funding for the BCHFS; preparing funding proposals and managing donor relationships;
- Building and maintaining relationships with School Districts, Ministries of the Provincial Government, and other related organizations;
- Overseeing the management of the BCHFS website, monthly newsletter, and other external communications;
- Coordinating the organization of the Provincial Fair through budgeting, leading an organizing committee, and oversight of all necessary travel and onsite arrangements for student participants and adult chaperones;
- Collecting and compiling annual reports and statistics;
- Organizing and attending meetings of the Board of Directors of the BCHFS, including monthly teleconferences, an Annual General Meeting, and various ad hoc meetings;
- Providing support for additional activities undertaken by the Board of Directors; and
- Performing other duties and responsibilities as required.
- High energy, enthusiasm, and interest in Canadian heritage and history.
- Experience in delivering programs for children and youth.
- Strong organization and communication skills.
- Extensive experience in fundraising for non-profit organizations including online platforms such as GoFundMe.
- Experience in creating and adhering to budgets.
- Knowledge and comfort using computer programs – word processing, social media and website management.
- Familiarity with the BC school system and the social studies curriculum is an asset.
Terms of Work:
- Duration of contract is from the start date to July 31, 2017.
- The contract may be renewed annually (typically August 15 to July 31).
- Hourly rate of $25.00 per hour, to a contract term maximum of 240 hours or $6,000.00 (April through July 2017). There may be additional opportunities for further paid work during this period.
- Coordinator must be able to respond to a monthly workload which fluctuates according to the school calendar.
- Coordinator is responsible for providing his/her own workspace and office equipment.
- Coordinator will be remunerated upon submission of a monthly invoice, including an outline of activities undertaken and number of hours worked.
- Pre-approved travel and other expenses will be reimbursed.
- The successful candidate will report to the Executive of the Board of Directors.
The position will remain open until a candidate is selected.
Please email curriculum vitae and cover letter, together with the names and contact coordinates of three references, to email@example.com. References will be contacted only following candidate interviews.
We thank all applicants for their interest in the position; however, only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted by the BCHFS.